The CES Visiting Scholars Program offers post-doctoral social scientists and historians the opportunity to spend up to one year at Harvard for independent research on Europe or transatlantic relations. Successful candidates benefit from the Center’s programs and Harvard’s intellectually stimulating environment, additionally, they gain access to the university's extensive library resources. Applicants range from postdoctoral fellows to senior scholars.
Before submitting an application, please review all instructions below. Questions about the program should be addressed to Roumiana Theunissen.
Call for Applications
Apply now for the 2018-2019 academic year!
Deadline: December 15, 2017
Online Application Portal
We are now accepting applications via the online portal. Please click here to submit your application.
Visiting Scholars Program Deadline: December 15, 2017 (11:59 PM EST)
Applications will be accepted for the 2018-2019 academic year via the online application portal starting in September 2017. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted.
Visiting Scholars Off-Cycle Deadline: 30 days prior to fellowship deadline
The Center considers applications prior to the January deadline for the 2018-2019 academic year only for candidates applying for specific fellowships or grants that require a statement of affiliation with an American institution (for example Fulbright grants) and whose deadline is prior to the Center’s December 2017 deadline. Eligible candidates may submit an off-cycle application by emailing all required documents to Roumiana Theunissen. Complete applications must be received at least 30 days prior to the fellowship or grant deadline.
- John F. Kennedy Memorial Fellowship (for German Citizens) Deadline: November 15, 2017
German Kennedy Memorial Fellowship (for EU Citizens) Deadline: December 15, 2017 (11:59 PM EST)
One fellowship per year gifted by the German government is available to scholars from EU countries. Application materials for the 2018-2019 academic year must be submitted to CES via the online application portal. For more information, view German Kennedy Memorial Fellowship.
CES Visiting Scholars will be able to:
- Expand their research by accessing Harvard University’s resources including the world's largest university library and private library system.
- Receive a Harvard University research appointment and have a Harvard email account and ID card granting full access to Harvard’s facilities.
- Present research in a weekly Visiting Scholars Seminar and receive feedback on work-in-progress from colleagues in their field.
- Participate in the Center’s robust program of talks, study group sessions and conferences. View the CES Events Calendar.
- Have a desk in a shared office space at CES. Most of our visitors are placed in a two-person office. Office space for visitors is determined by semester needs and is not guaranteed, though we make every effort to provide office space for all visitors.
- Receive IT support from CES Technical Support Staff and have wireless and ethernet internet access. Please note that computers are not provided in offices and Visiting Scholars are encouraged to bring a laptop.
- Audit courses on campus with the permission of the instructor. For the list of course offerings, please visit the Harvard course catalog directory.