Graduate students are a vital part of the CES community and have been central to the Center’s mission since its founding in 1969. Harvard and MIT graduate students in the Social Sciences with an interest and research area focus in Europe are encouraged to apply to become graduate student affiliates of CES. Graduate students are eligible to apply from their first year of graduate school studies.
Graduate Student Affiliation
Benefits of Affiliation
Graduate student affiliates enjoy the following benefits:
- Participation in the CES Dissertation Workshop to receive ongoing constructive feedback and support from faculty and peers
- The possibility to serve on the CES Steering Committee and participate in the Center's activities and governance
- Preferential access to invite-only CES events and off-the-record discussions
- Eligibility to request desk space at the Center for up to four semesters (space is very limited, priority is given to third and fourth year students)
- Dedicated specific funding to support student-led lectures, seminars, and other initiatives that are organized at CES
How to Apply
CES proudly welcomes all first year graduate students to apply for affiliation.
Interested candidates should submit the following materials in one PDF or separate PDFs (PDFs only please):
- Current curriculum vitae (CV)
- Cover letter requesting affiliation, describing your current research studies and how graduate affiliation with CES will further your interests and objectives as well as how you can get involved with CES
- One letter of recommendation (can come from student or recommender)
The application deadline is March 5, 2021 for graduate student affiliation starting in the fall of 2021. Additional information and where to send your materials? Please contact CES Program Coordinator.
CES Local Affiliate, Danilo Mandić; CES Graduate Student Affiliate, Colleen Driscoll; and Jonathan Mijs (former CES Graduate Student Affiliate, Graduated Spring 2017).