This booklet includes the program of the tribute event and features memorial notes written by select colleagues and friends.
A Tribute to Stanley Hoffmann
On December 3, 2015 friends, family and colleagues of Stanley Hoffmann celebrated the Life of Stanley Hoffmann with person tributes and a musical interlude. In commemoration of its co-founder, CES dedicated one its lecture rooms in his name and announced the creation of the Stanley Hoffmann Memorial Fund.
Program & Memorial Notes - A Celebration of the Life of Stanley Hoffmann
Stanley Hoffmann was a scholar, an intellectual, a mensch. He was the last of his kind.
This booklet is a collection of the memorial notes that friends and colleagues from around the world send in to remember Stanley Hoffmann.
Stanley Hoffmann Memorial Fund
The Stanley Hoffmann Memorial Fund for the Advancement of the Study of Europe has been established at the Center for European Studies for donations in memory of Professor Stanley Hoffmann. This fund will be used to support programmatic activities, research and teaching at CES, of which Professor Hoffmann was the Founding Chairman (1969-1994) and resident faculty member.
To contribute to the fund and for more information, please contact Laura Falloon.
"Throughout his career, Stanley remained interested in scholars and students for what they had to say and how they reached their conclusions, not for their titles or GPAs."
1:00 – 2:30 p.m. A Celebration of the Life of Stanley Hoffmann
Opening by: Dr. Peter A. Hall, Krupp Foundation Professor of European Studies, Harvard University
- Prof. Louise Richardson, Principal and Vice-Chancellor, St Andrews University; Vice-Chancellor, University of Oxford (as of Jan. 2016)
- Dr. Peter Gourevitch, Distinguished Emeritus Professor, University of California, San Diego
- Dr. Suzanne Berger, Raphael Dorman-Helen Starbuck Professor of Political Science, MIT
- Dr. Guido Goldman, Director of the Program for the Study of Germany and Europe, Minda de Gunzburg Center for European Studies
- Dr. Catherine Grémion, Emeritus Director of Research, Center for the Sociology of Organizations, Sciences Po
- Dr. Karl Kaiser, Adjunct Professor of Public Policy, Harvard Kennedy School
- Ambassador Samantha Power, U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations
Featuring a musical tribute by Parker Quartet.2:30 – 5:00 p.m. Reception & Dedication of the Stanley Hoffmann Seminar Room
Location: Minda de Gunzburg Center for European Studies
Articles & Obituaries
- “Le Professeur: From Vichy to Iraq with a widely cultured ‘citizen of Harvard’," by Craig Lambert, Harvard Magazine, July-August 2007.
- “Stanley Hoffmann: Three brief essays,” by Robert O. Keohane, French Politics (2009) 7, 368–378.
Obituaries in English
- “Stanley Hoffmann, Harvard Scholar of International Relations and French Politics, Dies at 86,”CES Press Release, September 13, 2015.
- “Stanley Hoffmann, Who Brought Passion to Foreign Policy Analysis, Dies at 86,” by William Grimes, The New York Times, September 13, 2015.
- “Stanley Hoffmann Was One of the Great Professors of Our Time” by Arthur Goldhammer, The New Republic, September 13, 2015.
- “Stanley Hoffmann, Harvard Professor and Scholar, 86,” The Harvard Gazette, September 14, 2015.
- “Stanley Hoffmann, 1928 – 2015,” by Mary D. Lewis, H-France Salon, Vol. 7 (2015), Issue 12.
- “Stanley Hoffmann was a scholar, an intellectual, a mensch. He was the last of his kind,” by Yascha Mounk, Vox, September 15, 2015.
- “Stanley Hoffmann, Iconic Professor and Scholar, Dies at 86,” by C. Ramsey Fahs, The Harvard Crimson, September 15, 2015.
- “Stanley Hoffmann has died. He changed how America thinks about France and Europe,” by Peter Gourevitch, The Washington Post, September 15, 2015.
- “War Child. Stanley Hoffamann, R.I.P” by Gary J. Bass, Foreign Affairs, September 17, 2015.
- “Death of the French-American scholar, Stanley Hoffmann,” Communiqué issued by the Presidency of the French Republic, September 17, 2015.
- “Tribute to Stanley Hoffmann, the most French of American political scientists,” by Yves Mény, Sciences Po News, September 18, 2015
- “Stanley Hoffmann, 86; world politics professor at Harvard,” by Bryan Marquard, The Boston Globe, September 22, 2015.
Obituaries in French
- “Disparition de Stanley Hoffmann, ‘le spectateur engagé’," France Culture, September 14, 2015.
- “Les leçons de Stanley Hoffmann pour la France d’aujourd’hui,” by Arthur Goldhammer, Slate.fr, September 15, 2015.
- “Stanley Hoffmann est mort,” by Thomas Wieder, Le Monde, September 16, 2015.
- “Mort du politologue américain Stanley Hoffmann,” LeMonde.fr & AFP, September 16, 2015.
- “Stanley pour une Française,” by Catherine Grémion, Centre De Sociologie des Organisations, Sciences Po, September 22, 2015.