Endowed by the Krupp Foundation, Dissertation Completion Fellowships support Harvard doctoral students in the Faculty of Arts and Sciences and MIT doctoral students in the social sciences as they complete their dissertations. Please note that Harvard PhD candidates at the Graduate School of Design (GSD) are eligible to apply provided their proposal has the support of a CES-affiliated faculty member. Only in exceptional circumstances, doctoral students in law, design, government, and education can be considered if the case applies.
- The award allows students to spend a final year dedicated to writing.
- The dissertation must focus on modern or contemporary Europe (roughly 1750 – present) and students must have completed two draft dissertation chapters and submitted them to the dissertation advisor at the time of application (or for students in fields where the dissertation consists of three articles, the existence of one article in draft).
- Applications will be judged by their overall merit, the importance of the topic, the clarity of the proposal, the potential for scholarly contribution, and the likelihood of timely completion.
- CES matches its stipend level to the GSAS standard annual stipend for dissertation completion fellowships. The stipend cannot be deferred and must be used within the twelve-month period for which it is awarded. No other employment, beyond serving as an advisor for an undergraduate senior thesis or working as a part–time research assistant, is allowed under the grant, as students are expected to complete their dissertation during the period of the award. Students who have previously received writing/completion grants from other sources are not eligible.
- The fellowship covers Harvard facilities fees and individual health insurance (HUSHP Basic and Supplemental). Winners will be given priority for office space at CES if they contact the student programs advisor at email@example.com before the start of the fellowship term.
- Students must apply via the Harvard University Common Application for Research and Travel (CARAT).
- Detailed instructions can be found here.
- Click here to download a Faculty confirmation form.
Deadline: The deadline for submissions has passed. The next application cycle will open in fall 2017.