In the 2018-2019 academic year, one Kennedy Fellowship gifted by the German Government will be awarded to a non-German scholar from the European Union. The fellowship provides a stipend of $60,000 for 10 months of residential research between September and June. This fellowship is administered by CES and each application will be reviewed by the CES Steering Committee. Fellows are expected to attend a weekly Visiting Scholars seminar, where work in progress is presented to colleagues for feedback.
The German Kennedy Memorial Fellowship
(For EU Scholars)
In the 2018-2019 academic year, one German Kennedy Memorial Fellowship will be granted to an EU scholar of exceptional promise, who intends to pursue an academic career in Europe.
The goal of the German Kennedy Memorial Fellowship is to support EU scholars of exceptional promise and demonstrated accomplishment, who intend to pursue academic careers in Europe. CES encourages applications in all social science disciplines and on any topic related to modern Europe or transatlantic relations. Applications are judged on the quality and significance of the proposed project and the applicant’s record of achievement and promise. Applicants will be notified of the selection process results by March 2018.
Applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Be a citizen of a European Union member state other than Germany. (Candidates from Germany should apply for the Kennedy Fellowship for German nationals through a separate process directly to the DAAD. The deadline for applications has passed.)
- Pursue an independent project on modern Europe in the social sciences, including history.
- Possess a Ph.D. at the time of application. (Please note that applications from students in a degree program at the time of application submission will not be considered.)
- Have completed their Ph.D. degree no more than 8 years prior to the application and have a track record of academic publications.
- Commit to be in residence at CES for 10 months; applicants may not hold concurrent appointments.
- Have excellent command of English.
- Preference is given to applicants who intend to pursue academic careers in Europe.
How to Apply
Candidates who meet the eligibility criteria for the fellowship should submit their applications online by December 15, 2017.
Please review the additional information under Visiting Scholars before submitting an application. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted.
Do you have questions about the German Kennedy Memorial Fellowship?