In 2017, CES awarded its first Kennedy Fellowship to a non-German scholar from the European Union thanks to a gift by the German Government. Known as the German Kennedy Memorial Fellowship, its goal is to support EU scholars of exceptional promise and demonstrated accomplishment, who intend to pursue academic careers in Europe. The first recipient of the Fellowship is Tom Chevalier, a political scientist based at Sciences Po.
The German Kennedy Memorial Fellowship
(For EU Scholars)
CES encourages applications in all social science disciplines and on any topic related to modern Europe or transatlantic relations.
Applications are judged on the quality and significance of the proposed project and the applicant’s record of achievement and promise.
The Fellowship provides a stipend of $60,000 for 10 months of residential research between September and June.
This Fellowship is administered by CES and each application is reviewed by the CES Steering Committee. Fellows are expected to attend a weekly Visiting Scholars seminar, where work in progress is presented to colleagues for feedback.
Applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Be a citizen of a European Union member state other than Germany. (Candidates from Germany should apply for the John F. Kennedy Memorial Fellowship for German nationals through a separate process directly to the DAAD. The deadline for applications has passed.)
- Pursue an independent project on modern Europe in the social sciences, including history.
- Possess a Ph.D. at the time of application. (Please note that applications from students in a degree program at the time of application submission will not be considered.)
- Have completed their Ph.D. degree no more than 8 years prior to the application and have a track record of academic publications.
- Commit to be in residence at CES for 10 months; applicants may not hold concurrent appointments.
- Have excellent command of English.
- Preference is given to applicants who intend to pursue academic careers in Europe.
How to Apply
Interested in applying?
The deadline for submitting applications for the 2019-2020 academic year has passed. Please pay attention to our website in the summer of 2019 for more details about applying for the 2020-2021 academic year.
Please review the additional information under Visiting Scholars Program before submitting an application. Note that late or incomplete applications will not be accepted.
Do you have questions about the German Kennedy Memorial Fellowship?